PDA

View Full Version : FC6 T3 - First Time Startup Hangs

shotsman
17th September 2006, 03:27 PM
I have just installed FC6 T3 on an Intel Dual Core(805) system. I selected XEN in the install options otherwise, just the normal sort of stuff for a server rather than desktop.
When it boots the system hangs when it gets into the bit where it starts up the first time login stuff.
So,
1) is there anyway to get round this? I tried to stop it going to runlevel 5 by booting into single user and editing itttab but this makes no difference. X is still started.
2) Has anyone else seen this issue?

jim
17th September 2006, 03:55 PM
I think you chose the wrong kernel i believe you need the smp kernel
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=503&num=1

shotsman
17th September 2006, 05:51 PM
just to clarify that this is OOTB (or off CD). I did a custom install and selected xen as one of the package groups that I wanted to install.
In the grub.conf options, the only choice available is ( from the file)
title Fedora Core (2.6.17-2630.fc6xen)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /xen.gz-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6
module /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6xen ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb
module /initird-2.6.17-1.2630.fc6xen.img

When booted into single user mode, a uname -a gives

Linux T140AV 2.6.17-1.2630.fc6xen #1 SMP

So, the kernel actually running is the SMP FC6 kernel with XEN built in. This I am assuming is the right one.

If I then continue the startup, it tries to start X to do the first boot stuff. After a while it just hangs (the whole system)
This problem could be worth a Bugzilla report as it is just using available options and nothing tailored.

Well, I seem to have fixed the problem. I edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the driver from "nv" to "vesa" and now I can boot into X !