PDA

View Full Version : Protect Runlevel 1

Mat
29th June 2004, 06:11 AM
Hi,

I recently switched from suse to FC2 and there's one thing that's buggin me.

when you switched to runlevel 1, suse would automatically demand the root pwd. With fedora, I'm right at the console..

I'm sure there's a way to achieve this functionality here too.. does anybody know how?

thx
Mat

ilja
29th June 2004, 06:16 AM
type init 1 and now whoami

Mat
29th June 2004, 06:34 AM
no, no, you got me wrong.. I know I'm logged in as root, but that's exactly my point.. I want to be forced to give the root pwd before I'm logged in..

Mat

ilja
29th June 2004, 06:39 AM
tell me every step you do, so I can do them also.

Mat
29th June 2004, 06:52 AM
:)

just type in 'init 1' (or add as boot parameter in grub).. fc2 will boot to the runlevel and automatically log you in as root..

at suse you would get 'type in root password to log-in:' before.. and that's what I want from fedora too

Mat

ilja
29th June 2004, 07:47 AM
ok, you have to be root, to execute init 1. You can set a password on grub. So why should it ask you to enty the root-password, if you are allready root? Is there a sense?

Mat
29th June 2004, 08:09 AM
ok, you have to be root, to execute init 1. You can set a password on grub. So why should it ask you to enty the root-password, if you are allready root? Is there a sense?

ahh... k, didn't thought about that.. :)
grub can have a password?! nice idea, will investigate further

thx
Mat

bradthemad
29th June 2004, 09:15 AM
You can force the root password to be entered in single-user mode by adding the following to /etc/inittab:

su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

Mat
29th June 2004, 10:01 PM
thx brad, that was what I wanted to know..

however, I like the grub pwd protection better now.. :)

Mat