PDA

View Full Version : FC3t2 installation problem due to a SATA_SIL module loading issue...

gabolander
30th September 2004, 11:50 PM
Hi there,
I'm proudly running Fedora Core 2 and I wished to upgrade to FC3t2.
I own a computer with a SATA Raid by Silicon Image on motherboard (my computer specifications appear below). Unfortunately during boot up, my installation stops after loading SATA_SIL module. On the screen, after the dialog box "Loding SATA_SIL", some garbage characters appear (like "#@$%@$^GAWE#" or something similar :eek: ) an nothing else... I'm able to change sceen by pressing Alt+F3 or F4 to see debug messages, but the installation won't run any longer.
:confused:

I kindly appreciate any kind of suggestion ..
Thanks in advance.
Gabolander

Here are my system specs:
- CPU : AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ (overclocked to 3200+)
- MB ASUS A7N8XE-Deluxe
On Board:
RAID bus/Serial ATA Controller on Motherboard: SiI3112 Serial ATA
Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc)
Silicon Image Serial ATARaid Controller [ CMD/Sil 3112/3112A ] (rev 01)
Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
Ethernet controller: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T (rev 13)
Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce MultiMedia audio i
[Via VT82C686B] (rev a2)
Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler
(MCP) (rev a1)
- 512 MB DDR (2 x DDR-400 PC3200 256Mb DIMM Desktop Module KINGMAX)
- 60 GB HD Maxtor UDMA ATA - MAXTOR 6L060L3
- 120 GB HD Maxtor SATA - Maxtor 6Y120M0
- Sound card: On M.Board :
- Video Card: GeForce FX5200 AGP 8X 128bit 128 MB (nVidia NV24 rev a1)
- DVD player SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T
- DVD/CD-Burner LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B
- Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
(rev 10)
- Manhattan USB 2.0 daughter board:
USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx
UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)
USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx
UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)
USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51)
- Multimedia video controller: Hauppauge WinTV Bt878 Video/Audio Capture
(rev 11)
- 2 x IEEE 1394 Firewire ports on board.

ewdi
1st October 2004, 12:08 AM
my mobo in shuttle have same chip for the sata controller, i didnt get any of those error, how about FC2 boot, did it give the same error?

gabolander
1st October 2004, 12:40 AM
my mobo in shuttle have same chip for the sata controller, i didnt get any of those error, how about FC2 boot, did it give the same error?

No, FC2 ran quite fine. I feel the problem is around FC3 + SATA_SIL driver + some other thing present in my system, but I cannot figure out what exactly is..

Gabo :confused:

gabolander
12th October 2004, 07:47 PM
The same problem I reported above, occurs with FC3 test 3 also....
Please someone help me to solve this problem...
I've noticed that when system boots, doesn't recognize my sata disk (hde in my case...) so I don't know how to load the module during boot prompt. I tried many things, such as "linux sata_sil" "linux reiserfs append="sata_sil", hde=sata_sil, and so on, but it didn't work...

Tnx in advance. Gabolander.

Crashoverride
14th October 2004, 06:35 PM
The exact same thing happens to me with the same harddrive and controller our systems are nearly identical . It doesn't only happen with fedora but any distro with a kernel higher then 2.6.5 when they disabled the SATA module under IDE controllers. If you disable the controller in the bios it will allow you to proceed installing. Also if you just enable the controller after installing, on boot the kernel complains about a screaming IRQ. This issue has been pi**ing me off to no end. I found reverting to the depreciated SATA support works after compilng another kernel.

I hope like heck that the kernel guys figure this one out.

gabolander
15th October 2004, 10:14 AM
The exact same thing happens to me with the same harddrive and controller our systems are nearly identical . It doesn't only happen with fedora but any distro with a kernel higher then 2.6.5 when they disabled the SATA module under IDE controllers. If you disable the controller in the bios it will allow you to proceed installing. Also if you just enable the controller after installing, on boot the kernel complains about a screaming IRQ. This issue has been pi**ing me off to no end. I found reverting to the depreciated SATA support works after compilng another kernel.

I hope like heck that the kernel guys figure this one out.

Infact, I also enable depreciated SATA support when compiling newer kernels than 2.6.5, otherwise sata hds would not be detected at next boot and the kernel should panic due to root fs missing.
I thank you very much for suggesting me to disable the controller at bios .. it's a thing I've not done yet. I hope too that the kernel guys realize this problem asap so that we can boot next linux distro releases anyway...

Gabolander