PDA

View Full Version : Disabling SATA?

omega5
11th November 2004, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone,

Just a small dilemma I'm having with FC3 trying to install (FC2 installed no worries previously), during the initial loading of Anaconda when it loads the ohci1394 driver it then tries to load the sata_sil driver, pauses for a few seconds and then the message "disabling IRQ11" appears and the system seems to stop there. I did leave it there in the hopes that it may boot further but after 2 hours nothing had changed.

I have tried disabling all onboard peripherals such as LAN, sound, firewire and USB all to no avail. I have also tried booting with the following options:
pci=noacpi
noapic
no usb
acpi=off
text
and all combinations of the above.

What I'm wondering is, is there an parameter I can pass to the kernel to disable the loading of that driver so that I may possibly be able to get past it? Mind you I do have a 200G SATA drive attached to it which did work with FC2 fine, once I got some customised kernels built.

Hardware config:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (rev 2)
1024M RAM
SB Audigy 2 ZS
256M NVIDIA 5950 Ultra
1x120G PATA
1x20G PATA
1xLiteOn CDRW
1xPioneer A08XLB
1x200G SATA

Any suggestions????

Thanks.

Sniffer
11th November 2004, 11:38 AM
Try to disable SATA devices from your Bios instead of using Fedora Options on boot.

omega5
11th November 2004, 12:10 PM
unfortunately bios doesn't offer that option... that's how i disabled everything else but thanks for the suggestion

Sniffer
12th November 2004, 12:04 AM
OR disconnect your SATA drive when making the install of fedora and when you finish connect the cable again.

i have a similar issue with a USB pen.....it stuck my install.

SuperNu
12th November 2004, 06:46 AM
Try adding hde=off to your kernel grub line. You could also comment out the line in /etc/modprobe.conf that says alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_sil.

--SN

omega5
12th November 2004, 11:57 AM
After a lot of sweat and tears I finally got the installation to go further than that very first screen by disabling the sata controller altogether. Anytime the sata controller is enabled the default kernel fc3 ships with, breaks down. Customised kernel's (namely 2.6.9-cko3) work flawlessly so I think it seems to be a shipping kernel issue.

What do you guys think, should this be reported as a bug to Redhat?

gabolander
15th November 2004, 12:56 AM
Hi Omega,
I have the same problem of yours, because basically I have the same motherboard. Unfortunately, kernel guys decided to disable old deprecated libata module from kernel, that is, on the contrary, the only thing that make >=2.6.5 kernel boot correctly with our systems and detect our sata disks.

Your workaround is good, but how for my situation, that I have windoze on a PATA disk and linux FC2 on my only SATA disk (and I wanted to upgrade FC3 to this one) ??

The only chance I have, is to compile a kernel with old libata compiled into the kernel monolithically and obtaining a new vmlinuz and rebuild and burn a cd installation disk by my own, but dunno if works.

Or just .. disable the SATA disk, install FC3 on a PATA disk and recompile the kernel and transferring all the installation to the SATA disk ...

I already post a message to this forum since FC3 test 2 (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23028&highlight=sata_sil). Instead of getting "Disabling IRQ #11", during FC3t2 and FC3t3 installations after sata_sil loading, many garbage chars appeared, but the problem was the same. After this error, in the debug screen (Alt+F4) appeared all the errors related to the loading of module (nobody cared?? try to pass acpi=off option, different interrupt address overlap and so on..).

I already posted the problem in buzilla.redhat.com, but seems none took it in consideration...

Let's hope for the future... ;-)

Nice to write you.
Best,

Gabolander

balthazar
24th November 2004, 07:53 PM
Same problem. My motherboard is an asus a7n8x with a sata disk.

I happily run a fedora core 2, but I cannot upgrade kernel larger than 2.6.6 (hence no fedora 3).
When I try to boot from fedora 3, anaconda hangs printing the "Disable irq 11" message.

I could install fedora 3 on a eide hard disk (hda) but I cannot disable the probe of the SATA controller/disk.
Any hint?

P.S.
By the way I also noticed that, even in fedora 2 with kernel 2.6.6 I have a problem with interrupts, but maybe it has nothing to do with the sata problem: I noticed a "disable irq 5" message during boot, after that sound does not work! However, if I first boot on XP and then I reboot on fedora 2, than everything is ok.

gabolander
29th November 2004, 06:15 PM
Same problem. My motherboard is an asus a7n8x with a sata disk.

I happily run a fedora core 2, but I cannot upgrade kernel larger than 2.6.6 (hence no fedora 3).
When I try to boot from fedora 3, anaconda hangs printing the "Disable irq 11" message.

I could install fedora 3 on a eide hard disk (hda) but I cannot disable the probe of the SATA controller/disk.
Any hint?

P.S.
By the way I also noticed that, even in fedora 2 with kernel 2.6.6 I have a problem with interrupts, but maybe it has nothing to do with the sata problem: I noticed a "disable irq 5" message during boot, after that sound does not work! However, if I first boot on XP and then I reboot on fedora 2, than everything is ok.

IMHO the only solution, is to make an installation disk with a vmlinuz modified for the purpose. I tried to make one, and it worked until it asked me for an installation source (it doesn't detect my cdrom(s) at the moment it searches for sources.

Does anyone know, where may I find a .config of installation vmlinuz (I tried to boot in a computer with pata disks and switched in bash screen, but I found no .config file) ?

Best,
gabolander

omega5
2nd December 2004, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=balthazar]Same problem. My motherboard is an asus a7n8x with a sata disk.

Any hint?

the only hint i have is if you have a deluxe revision2 board there is a small jumper next to the cmos battery. this enables/disables the sata controller... temporarily disable it and the installation runs flawlessly if you have a pata disk to install onto, then you'll need to use a custom kernel before re-enabling sata otherwise none of the RH-supplied kernels including the very latest one will work at all... nasty issue this one, don't know why they couldn't use the libata silicon image driver as a fall back or even as the primary just to get it booting....

balthazar
3rd December 2004, 12:44 PM
Ok. I think to have a Rev.1 a7n8x. However I could recompile a kernel on the running Fedora 2. But how can I make an installation disk? Where can I find documentation about how to make a personal installation boot disk?