PDA

View Full Version : amd 64 / fc3 / cpuinfo

feta
25th January 2005, 03:22 PM
hey guys

i ve tried to ask for help bout this matter before however i havent found the solution to my problem yet and i ve left it for a while (busy with other things)

i ve got an amilo a1630 laptop with an amd athdlon 64 3700+

i use linux and my distribution is fedora core 3 i386... i ve tried the x86_64 version
however i had some problems with compiling some 32bit applications related to my work
so i left it (i am not an expert in cross-compiling and i could find a workaround so i just returnd to my i386 distro)

well when i had the x86_64 version my /proc/cpuinfo was showing a speed around 2.4 GHz which is the expected one from this processor)
in the i386 version cpuinfo shows a stable 798.194 which does not change whether the machine has a high load or not.
* i dont use cpuspeed*

now what i think about this is:
- either cpuinfo is not so compatible with this cpu and retrieves a false reading
- i dont have an essential kernel module installed related with this cpu and the i386 distro of fc3
- or i dont know something which i have to know!

i would appreciate any help in this matter
i am not sure if this is the correct forum to post my problem, please forgive me in advance if this is the case

thanks
any help will be deeply appreciated
christos

xorbe
28th January 2005, 07:08 AM
can you disable Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS? When I enable that, "various" OS get stuck at 1.0GHz. I guess your i386 distro is not doing the right thing, but the x86_64 did.

tajidinabd
28th January 2005, 07:19 AM
well feta try this go to ur /etc/cpuspeed.conf and add accordingly the appropriate lines here is a copy of mine. so i have a quiet laptop:

VMAJOR=1
VMINOR=1
OPTS="-i 2"
#DRIVER="powernow-k7"
OPTS="-a /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/*/state -t /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature 75"
DRIVER=powernow-k8

make sure it looks like mine i think even though urs is a 3700 it should be the same.
let me know how it went

feta
28th January 2005, 12:12 PM
more /etc/cpuspeed.conf
VMAJOR=1
VMINOR=1

okplayer02:
OPTS="-i 2"
#DRIVER="powernow-k7"
#OPTS="-a /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/*/state -t /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature 75"

thats what i get... i haven't explicitly installed powernow-k8, any webpage that says how to do this?
plus, i dont use cpuspeed at all, would this have any effect?

xorbe: last time i ve been in my bios i did not see any cool'n'quiet options...
i ll have to reboot to check again however i am very pessimistic about the matter...

thanks both of you for ur replies

tajidinabd
28th January 2005, 03:46 PM
well add that line to ur cpuspeed.conf:

DRIVER=powernow-k8

just the way i have it
and u have to restart the cpuspeed service
in ur services
that service will speed up ur cpu only when needed under high loads
and take the # off the OPTIONS line

feta
28th January 2005, 05:24 PM
well well well okplayer02

miracle happened...!
i ve done what you ve said, checked the /proc/cpuinfo and it was
cpu MHz : 798.482
then i ve started glxgears and saw cpuinfo again and...
cpu MHz : 2395.446

u ve made me a happier person and saved my time!
how many fps should i get by my ati mobility radeon 9700 ?
- i get in glxgears something like 1128.000 FPS... is this somewhere close to what i should get?
- so what is the connection between acpi, cpuspeed and cool n quiet? do i need to do anything else?

anyway thanks so much for your help

tajidinabd
28th January 2005, 06:39 PM
hmm i think u should check with those new drivers make sure ur up to date with ur ATI card. I have a NVIDIA card. THat line : DRIVER=powernow-k8 loads the proper driver for ur CPU which is a K8 like mine is. So it will run at 2 GHZ when only needed u know so then fan kicks in and now u save power when there are low loads.
All i ask is please add to my reputation thank you im glad i could help out

Dog-One
28th January 2005, 07:40 PM
For some reason, I still have to add
modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governorin my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to get the CPU speed to change dynamically. I'm running on a desktop machine and not a laptop--that may be the difference here.

axel
9th June 2005, 08:58 PM
I followed okplayer2 instructions because my cpu seems to be stuck at 800Mhz. However when i try to restart cpuspeed i get the following error
Starting cpuspeed: Error: Not an integer: /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRS/temperature
Any ideas?

imdeemvp
10th June 2005, 07:48 AM
Run:
system-config-services and turn off cpuspeed and see if the helps.

axel
10th June 2005, 01:32 PM
It worked thanks. =)
I turned off cpuspeed and added the lines Dog-One says in my /etc/rc.local. Now my cpu freq changes. Now i can go for the Cool&Quiet part.