PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading versions

GarySaved
25th January 2006, 02:25 PM
Up till now when you upgrade from one version of Fedore to the next, the answer to upgrading has always been to backup your information, and do a fresh install.
To someone who has used Linux for a while, and is comfortable with tar, this is not a problem. To someone thinking of migrating from windows, this would be unexceptable.

Is there any effort going on to make it reliable to do an upgrade from FC4 to FC5?

nlkrio
25th January 2006, 02:28 PM
from fc3 to fc4 you can,look here for more info
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#head-bee4591f4bebe867a1cfbbef57475418fe6bc228

so you can from fc4 to fc5

GarySaved
25th January 2006, 02:37 PM
from fc3 to fc4 you can,look here for more info
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq#head-bee4591f4bebe867a1cfbbef57475418fe6bc228

so you can from fc4 to fc5

I read that, and it looks SCARY!
That would only be for experts. A new user would never be able to do that.

We need a RELIABLE method of upgrading, that is automated.

glanz
25th January 2006, 02:38 PM
I know of many who have run into problems upgrading, but it has worked for me with Fedora. I have done it twice and, to my surprise, it worked in spite of the usual warnings. I did back up a few essentials though, but it wasn't even necessary. My upgrades were like clean installs because I used a CD to back up some data before doing it.

Think of it this way: the worse that can happen is being obliged to do a clean install if something goes wrong. If you have essential data backed up externally, that shouldn't be a problem either. Just be careful with the installer and take it slow because I found that using the "back" button to correct choices during installs of any kind, doesn't usually work.

nlkrio
25th January 2006, 02:42 PM
personaly I download only the first fedora cd and I do a minimal installation and then i install the rest by using yum.Expect thet i have create a separate home partition so the upgrading is easy

GarySaved
30th January 2006, 11:00 PM
So nobody is going to address this?
Not having a reliable system to update from one version to the next is a MAJOR problem.

Lets try to take care of this before it really becomes an issue!

Gary

brunson
1st February 2006, 04:42 AM
Most of my systems are upgraded from FC3 to FC4. I've got one system I've reliably upgraded from FC1 to 2 to 3 and finally to 4, I'm not sure what you're talking about. A backup is a precaution, but not a requirement.

bob
1st February 2006, 05:26 AM
GarySaved, if you want it addressed, go to the proper site: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate and make your points there. The developers don't monitor this Forum and your comments won't reach the right people here.

ShibbyCoder
2nd February 2006, 11:17 PM
does anyone know if its going to be possible to upgrade from a test version to the release version? would one simply do a yum update? because itd be really nice to not have to download the 3.1GB again simply because i have test 2 and the release version is out :)