FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Switching from Windows 10 64-bit

Hello All,

My name is Rob. Originally from Sitka, Alaska… Anchorage, Alaska is now where I hang my hat so to speak. (Little bit of pun intended :-) )

I'm currently running Windows 10 64-bit (HISSSSS! I know, I know… :-) ), But… I'm getting really tired of having to run "Advanced System Care Ultimate Pro", almost every other day… Just to keep the performance up at "decent" optimal speeds… Then having to run CCleaner, to pick up whatever advanced system care left behind, and vice versa…
    THEN, using the built-in kind of sort of hidden Windows disk utility cleaner to get rid of whatever the other 2 programs left behind…

Being a Quadriplegic, that really sucks having to maintain my laptop like this week in and week out…
    There is a lot of times, I'm sure I'm not the only one… That would just like to, pick up and go… Just start doing stuff, on our machines… Whether it be for work or play, it's weird how inspiration and motivation come at the most weirdest times…
    Its starting to, drive a wedge between me and Mr. Gates.

I really like the idea of doing a fresh install of 1 of the Fedora Workstation distro's… Just so you know, I have been doing a little bit of homework.
    I don't need, nor do I really want… Any of the fancy desktop environments like Gnome, I really like the simplicity of LXDE or XFCE (I think those initials are right, could be wrong… I've been wrong before :-) ).

I think another simple one was "MATE"? Where it's light on resources? Even though my laptop is built like a beast & I have plenty of system resources to play with… I try to be, as frugal as possible. "Waste not, want not"?

But, I will definitely need "WINE" so I can run Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5… I need the functionality that Dragon NaturallySpeaking has to control the mouse pointer by voice.
    Like with the "mouse grid" command, as long as I can control the mouse pointer by voice. I'm good to go, don't mind having to dictate into DragonPad then copying and pasting into another text box. I already do that quite a bit anyway, for some reason trying to dictate straight into programs like Firefox and other web browsers and even other programs. I'm having to go back and fix a lot of dictating mistakes.

Any Who, what are some of your experiences with 1 of the Fedora workstation distro's along with using 1 of the simpler desktop environments like LXDE? And WINE, who's using wine?
    Does wine, work better with a different desktop environment?

I've done a little bit of homework about that Nvidia drivers and Linux, at 1st it seemed like it was going to be a rather painful experience to be able to get the correct drivers installed. But, after narrowing down my keyword research in Google… It actually doesn't seem like it will be all that hard to get the correct drivers installed. Maybe, a dozen steps give or take 2-3?
    I'll do another Google search, but…

Anybody else have a Broadcom Network adapter? How well does Fedora play with these kind of network adapters out of the box?
    Any tricky tips and "Hacks", I might need to perform to get this kind of network adapter to work?

If you took the time to read this, thanks for your time!

Any sort of feedback I think would be kind of helpful.

Thanks,

Rob
    ASUS ROG G75VX 17.3" Notebook i7-3630QM 2.40Ghz
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III, 5400 RPM 1TB HDD
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (3 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 670MX 3gb dedicated card
    LXDE,WINE,Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Switching from Windows 10 64-bit

Hi, I think the biggest barrier in this scenario may be the broadcom adaptor because some of those are particularly problematic. If you have a LAN connection to set up the wireless driver packages and their requirements with it is far less of a problem.

My advice, try before you install and find it won't connect and stay connected to a network. you can run workstation live from the install media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!

I agree with antikythera (so just comment to "underscore" and won't repeat). I will add I couldn't emphasize enough the value of being able to run Live just by plugging in a USB to "test" a system before install.

nVidia does present challenges but tweaking linux performance often leads you to installing, updating, or changing drivers. In the case of nVidia (which I happen to like) the easy solution is:
    1. RPMfusion
    2. RPMfusion Config
    3. nVidia HowTo

Alternatively you can install the proprietary drivers. Note: sometime the recommendation is to not use them. Other times they are the better solution. Research carefully before trying this option.

If you want the best experience with linux I would highly recommend you do some hardware and compatibility research before you make your next computer purchase. One example is that Intel chipsets for networking tend to be the most compatible. Here's a link to the HCL to get you started.

Does being quadriplegic impact your choice for a laptop? I am clueless about your requirements and do not want to be rude--I will share my thought with the hopes that you take it with my best intentions. I would think your situation would allow for a laptop or desktop (perhaps a mini-tower) with the monitor mounted where you currently keep the laptop.

If you go with a desktop or mini-tower you can better select and change hardware (vs. a laptop). If you were writing about a desktop I could tell you spend $20.00 on an Intel NIC and get rid of your broadcom problems (even if the broadcom NIC was built-in to your mb). That may be overkill for a given situation but I've had complete broadcom failures in the past where the new NIC option solved the problem.

If you like responsiveness and fast-boots you can use an SSD (both with a laptop and a desktop). With a desktop using a small SSD for the OS and a larger (less expensive) HD for data is easier (especially if you take into account the option to add a 2nd and 3rd drive).

I hope this gives you answers pertinent to your question and also provides some valuable crumbs to gnaw on with regards to future purchases.
    ThePowerTool
    Bigger, Faster, More Power!!!
    ( - Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor; (google me) )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using MATE for many years and it's a excellent Desktop Environment. The GUI is very versatile & configurable, although some of the configurable options were recently removed. I assume this is due to the Wayland arriving on the scene.

Also, don't be afraid of nVidia (akmod) from RPM fusion. I have a $20 GeForce GT 710B and it works great in F26.

Good advice from antikythera on testing broadcom with a the MATE Live DVD. If you can't get it to work, you can grab a plug & Play Zydas USB network adapter on ebay for cheap. I keep several around for when I need them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...twork&_sacat=0

~fstab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to respond, separately, with my comments on a desktop manager mainly because I feel an affinity with you regarding your stated requirement for simplicity.

I completly relate to your wanting a simple environment. For many years (a long time ago) I used to run FVWM because of it's utter simplicity and close relation to UNIX environments I frequently used when I worked for IBM. I should point out I am very CL oriented--level of comfort with CL should be a factor in chosing a desktop environment for Linux.

I gave up a number of years ago and have started using the default Gnome environment provided with Fedora for a plethora of reasons. The top two are probabaly 1) ease of installation; and 2) work done to improve the GUI. It's also very tweakable and there is continuous work being done in Gnome for accessbility.

FYI I usually point Windows users newly making the move to Linux to start with Ubuntu as that distro has the reputation of being more Windows-user-friendly and it's well-earned. Fedora has traditionally been more oriented towards CL- and technically-inclined users.

Best of luck!
    ThePowerTool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fstab
    you can grab a plug & Play Zydas USB network adapter on ebay for cheap. I keep several around for when I need them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...twork&_sacat=0

~fstab
    Just a quick note on this: 1st, it's absolutely true that in an emergency and in some situations USB to NIC may work.

It's important to also note that USB was never intended to interface with a NIC (which is amply demonstrated in the protocol specifications for USB).
    ThePowerTool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N8tiv
    Hello All,

My name is Rob. Originally from Sitka, Alaska… Anchorage, Alaska is now where I hang my hat so to speak. (Little bit of pun intended :-) )

I'm currently running Windows 10 64-bit (HISSSSS! I know, I know… :-) ), But… I'm getting really tired of having to run "Advanced System Care Ultimate Pro", almost every other day… Just to keep the performance up at "decent" optimal speeds… Then having to run CCleaner, to pick up whatever advanced system care left behind, and vice versa…
    THEN, using the built-in kind of sort of hidden Windows disk utility cleaner to get rid of whatever the other 2 programs left behind…

Being a Quadriplegic, that really sucks having to maintain my laptop like this week in and week out…
    There is a lot of times, I'm sure I'm not the only one… That would just like to, pick up and go… Just start doing stuff, on our machines… Whether it be for work or play, it's weird how inspiration and motivation come at the most weirdest times…
    Its starting to, drive a wedge between me and Mr. Gates.

I really like the idea of doing a fresh install of 1 of the Fedora Workstation distro's… Just so you know, I have been doing a little bit of homework.
    I don't need, nor do I really want… Any of the fancy desktop environments like Gnome, I really like the simplicity of LXDE or XFCE (I think those initials are right, could be wrong… I've been wrong before :-) ).

I think another simple one was "MATE"? Where it's light on resources? Even though my laptop is built like a beast & I have plenty of system resources to play with… I try to be, as frugal as possible. "Waste not, want not"?

But, I will definitely need "WINE" so I can run Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5… I need the functionality that Dragon NaturallySpeaking has to control the mouse pointer by voice.
    Like with the "mouse grid" command, as long as I can control the mouse pointer by voice. I'm good to go, don't mind having to dictate into DragonPad then copying and pasting into another text box. I already do that quite a bit anyway, for some reason trying to dictate straight into programs like Firefox and other web browsers and even other programs. I'm having to go back and fix a lot of dictating mistakes.

Any Who, what are some of your experiences with 1 of the Fedora workstation distro's along with using 1 of the simpler desktop environments like LXDE? And WINE, who's using wine?
    Does wine, work better with a different desktop environment?

I've done a little bit of homework about that Nvidia drivers and Linux, at 1st it seemed like it was going to be a rather painful experience to be able to get the correct drivers installed. But, after narrowing down my keyword research in Google… It actually doesn't seem like it will be all that hard to get the correct drivers installed. Maybe, a dozen steps give or take 2-3?
    I'll do another Google search, but…

Anybody else have a Broadcom Network adapter? How well does Fedora play with these kind of network adapters out of the box?
    Any tricky tips and "Hacks", I might need to perform to get this kind of network adapter to work?

If you took the time to read this, thanks for your time!

Any sort of feedback I think would be kind of helpful.

Thanks,

Rob
    Hi Rob
    Welcome to the Fedora Forum. I have read your post with great interest. I have been using Linux now for many years and have, on occasion, installed many of the different distros for fun and interest. I must say that I am glad that I settled on Fedora many moons ago. The decision was because, in part, this Forum. They are both helpful and friendly. In reading your Post I must say that I am not at all aware of the "Dragon NaturallySpeaking" part. I use Wine and have over the years, off and on. My success and experience has been mixed and I cannot help with regards to that issue. I do currently have F24 running and it is EOL(End Of Life), so I am sure of its stability issues. I have downloaded Virtualbox and installed a Win 7 version as a VM (Virtual Machine) which seems to work ok so far. If you want to have a stable system and one that is using the latest Kernel technology I have decided to use one that is just EOL. I also have other machines (or Drives) which I play around with the newest Fedora releases (currently 26).
    I started writing this earlier today and now I see that many other posts have shown up so I will keep it short for now. I know it is against Forum preferences to not keep up to the latest release but for me I need at least one stable unit.
    One more comment on the Wine issue, I would use a VM rather than installing Wine. As mentioned by another poster this is just some stuff to consider as you progress. Also, I much prefer Win 7 over Win 10 for a VM. YMMV. Cheers...
    Robert :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Switching from Windows 10 64-bit

Hi, I think the biggest barrier in this scenario may be the broadcom adaptor - antikythera

Yeah, I've seen a lot of posts… Not just from this Forum, but from many others as well… The thing that keeps coming back to my mind, is that a lot of people have used the live USB version to play with and test out.
    While there playing around and trying things out, broadcom & Nvidia video cards weren't giving them any troubles while they're trying things out.
    And because it seems to be working so good, they just go ahead and just install it because everything "seemed to be working"…
    Then they end up running around like chickens with their heads cut off, because now nothing is working…

Now, just like with the Nvidia video cards… There are certain steps, and in a certain order to get both the network and video cards working.
    Before I even begin to think about installing, I'm going to make sure I download the extra kernel modification packages, devel, proprietary drivers etc. etc. etc.
    Going to do my best, to be prepared as much as possible.
    The theory is, even though I'll be off-line for about 10-30 minutes… I'll have my compiled notes and hopefully all of the necessary files and packages and still be able to install them…
    And if I did everything right, upon reboot… Hopefully, things will be working as they should.

That's, the prevailing theory anyway… My life raft will be this CD that has Ubuntu on it ready to install if all else fails…
    Seriously thinking about maybe using Linux mint as my life raft instead, don't like what I've been hearing about Ubuntu and Amazon?
    Don't really care either, I haven't even checked into it.
    The only reason why, I blindly downloaded a readily installable version of Ubuntu was because I had it about 3 years ago. And, it just worked out of the box… Didn't have to do anything special to get my network card or video card working.

Does being quadriplegic impact your choice for a laptop? I am clueless about your requirements and do not want to be rude--I will share my thought with the hopes that you take it with my best intentions. I would think your situation would allow for a laptop or desktop (perhaps a mini-tower) with the monitor mounted where you currently keep the laptop. - ThePowerTool
    For the 1st 12-15 years, of being a quadriplegic… I had the ability to drive my chair around, and was still able to use the keyboard… Couldn't use any kind of mouse, any kind… With any sort of ease.
    Imagine if you will, modern robotic arms with fingers… You have the bicep part, forearm, wrist, palms & fingers. Using flight sticks, to control them. Got it?

Now, take away the palms and the fingers… And your left able to control the bicep, forearm and wrist only. Try picking up a small paper cup that's only 1/4th with water with those flight sticks now.

My laptop is propped up on the left side of my body, 17 inch beast… Now, make a fist and bend your arms so the top of your knuckles are under your chin.
    If you're doing it right, you'll be able to move your elbow around in front of you. Again, if you're doing it right… Try moving your mouse pointer around with the backside of your elbow.
    That's how I move my mouse around, most of the time… Just because it's a lot faster, and I can click and drag… Kind of sort of. I can still double-click.
    But, all of that is while I'm sitting up in bed. I have to laid the bed flat, every few hours. Otherwise I will develop bedsores on my bottom and my back.

That's where "WINE" & Dragon NaturallySpeaking come in… I can't control my mouse pointer with the touchpad while I'm laying flat. I lose a lot of dexterity, if not all… While I'm laying flat.
    An on-screen keyboard comes in handy every once in a while, every once in a while… I don't always need it and I do my best to avoid it. Otherwise it would take me forever to type something out.
    I'm not a software engineer, but… I do tinker with code every now and then, that's where the on-screen keyboard mainly comes in handy.

Anyway, a laptop is a lot easier to move around… I had about half a dozen different tower configurations for the 1st 12 years or so. But as the years went on, I've gotten more contracted. So now it's just a lot easier to use a laptop.

FYI I usually point Windows users newly making the move to Linux to start with Ubuntu as that distro has the reputation of being more Windows-user-friendly and it's well-earned. Fedora has traditionally been more oriented towards CL- and technically-inclined users. - ThePowerTool
    If I had my way, totally my way… I would have Gentoo!
    Maybe I will, as a virtual version to play around with. If/when I get another laptop, before I get rid of this 1. What I'll probably do is set up some sort of remote desktop control, and slowly get Gentoo on the new laptop.
    Then when I've got it configured just how I want and need, I'll end up getting rid of this current laptop. And have Gentoo as my native OS, and everything else into virtualization.

Also, I much prefer Win 7 over Win 10 for a VM - robertdaleweir
    If, I have her go back… Or should the need ever arise, Windows 7 would be my choice as well.

I appreciate the sincere feedback… Nice to know there's people looking out for one another.

If I'm successful in my preparation, I'm sure installation success will follow… It'll take me a few days to piece together all the different successful fixes that came after a hasty installation by others.
    I just got a find the right pieces and put them back together in a certain order to make this installation somewhat pain-free.

Thanks everybody!

Rob

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well it seems like you are proceeding with the right belt and braces approach so it bodes well. Linux Mint is a little more than Ubuntu without the Amazon stuff, I think you'd find this blog post on the topic interesting reading

it is possible with custom partitioning in anaconda to install Fedora to another USB drive rather than commit straight away to the internal storage. Just make sure the only drive ticked is the USB drive you want to install to and it ignores the internal storage. I use a USB 3 Sandisk Ultra Fit which gives reasonably response times. It's ideal for trying out changes and the latest version of an operating system without messing up the internal SSD or in your case HDD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerTool
    Just a quick note on this: 1st, it's absolutely true that in an emergency and in some situations USB to NIC may work.
    Actually,

What is absolutely true is the Zydas based USB NIC I recommended has worked perfectly across the 40-50 different makes & models of PCs & Laptops I've tested it on. It even works on tablets & 2-in1 devices. It's supported by the kernel and fully plug & play. Had I not been intimately familiar and fully confident in the device, I would not have recommended it.

I'm currently using one of the Zydas USB Network adapters in a HP Pavilion laptop, being the built-in NIC is unreliable in Linux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Re: Switching from Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    It's ideal for trying out changes and the latest version of an operating system without messing up the internal SSD or in your case HDD.
    Take a peek at my signature… I have both, and SSD & HDD.

I'll probably start late sometime tomorrow, or within the next couple of days on gathering all the instructions I'll need and pre-download all the packages/repositories/kernels/drivers and other associated files… Hopefully I'll get them all, or at least enough to get back on the network.
    Then I could always take my time from there to get it working properly.

If I'm successful on the 1st try, or at least successful enough to get back on the network. I'll see what I can do about writing up some sort of pre-installation guide, since I would have already gathered everything in one place already. Could be my way of giving back?
    We'll see how it goes 1st. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After researching a little bit the past couple of days, it looks like that ArchWiki… As the latest info on how to install both the Broadcom & Nvidia drivers…

In the article about installing the Nvidia drivers, it opens up with:
    "These instructions are for those using the stock linux or linux-lts packages."

Because I am a newb to Linux, what exactly is "stock Linux" or "Linux-LTS"?!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

stock linux are kernels that haven't been modified by the distribution maintainers and do not contain some stability or security fixes that are specific to the distribution, these usually follow the latest kernel release like Fedora Rawhide which is now using 4.13 kernels

for Fedora they are referred to as 'vanilla'

LTS kernels are long term support and stay with a certain kernel release branch for the lifetime of the operating system. for example CentOS which uses 3.10 kernels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Switching from Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    stock linux are kernels that haven't been modified by the distribution maintainers and do not contain some stability or security fixes that are specific to the distribution, these usually follow the latest kernel release like Fedora Rawhide which is now using 4.13 kernels

for Fedora they are referred to as 'vanilla'

LTS kernels are long term support and stay with a certain kernel release branch for the lifetime of the operating system. for example CentOS which uses 3.10 kernels
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

So, according to these instructions… And if I'm understanding you, right. I should follow the instructions for a "custom kernel"?

Thanks,

Rob

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)