<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora Core 5 on Asus P5B and Core 2 Duo
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    smashedpumpkin Guest

Question Fedora Core 5 on Asus P5B and Core 2 Duo

Hi there,

I just upgraded to the new Core 2 Duo/Asus P5B Deluxe (Intel P965 / ICH8R chipset). First problem is, that Fedora 5 boots only, if AHCI is enabled (whereas Windows XP supports the IDE mode of the SATA controller only), but that is the minor issue.

The major problem is that the mouse starts to jump and XMMS starts to stutter when there is too much IO or something (e.g. when I insert a CF card, copy many files or compile PHP5). My idea was that the CPU temperature becomes too high, but the extra 12cm fan and new thermal conductance paste did not help in any way. The bios also reports no problems concerning the CPU temperature (it's well below 50 degrees celsius). So far, I can monitor the CPU temperature using Windows XP and the Asus tools only because /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/ is still empty. Are the temperature sensors of the P5B supported by lm_sensors/the FC5 SMP kernel? Are any special BIOS settings required?

I think that there could be a problem with the AHCI implementation which will be fixed with kernel 2.6.18... any other hints? How I can find out what is wrong? /var/log/messages does not contain any error messages - everything seems to be ok.

Thanks,

Michael

www.nulldevice.de

jlow Guest
    Hi,

I'm getting the same problems such as mouse stutter when disk I/O is happening on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 with Core2 cpu. I can only think that we need to wait for linux drivers for the Intel 965 chipset, since it's quite new, I think.

By the way, what does /sbin/lspci show? Do you get a lot of unknown devices listed?

smashedpumpkin Guest
    Thanks for your reply! Hope the issues will be fixed with Fedora 6, if this really is a general problem...

# /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 29a0 (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 29a1 (rev 02)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2834 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2835 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 283a (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 283f (rev 02)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2847 (rev 02)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2849 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2830 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2831 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2832 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2836 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2810 (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 2821 (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Unknown device 283e (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0391 (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4364 (rev 12)
    03:00.0 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
    05:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)
    05:02.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 08)
    05:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
    05:04.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)

smashedpumpkin Guest

Unhappy Bugzilla Bug 201670: Unabled to boot 2.6.17 Kernel on Intel P965 / ICH8

Other P965 users seem to have similar problems:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/....cgi?id=201670

spence Guest
    I had the same problem.

Firstly don't connect a hard disk to the JMicron controller. Use the 6 ICH8 SATA ports.
    If you connect a CD/DVD Drive to the IDE connector then boot with the option 'all-generic-ide'
    e.g.
    linux all-generic-ide

Now if i can just remember how i configured the ICH8 controller...
    I *think* that I switched off RAID and set them to work as individual disks in IDE mode.

Fedora Core 5 installed and has been running awesome since then. It got rid of the pausing/stutting during install (actually when i had the issue i could not get past the install - time outs on IO devices).

jim is offline Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I unserstand, fc6 will support the new duo core procesors and asus boards. I would check the fedora-development list for more details.
    Registered Linux User: #376813
    Western NY
    My linux site
    Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence
    I had the same problem.

Firstly don't connect a hard disk to the JMicron controller. Use the 6 ICH8 SATA ports.
    If you connect a CD/DVD Drive to the IDE connector then boot with the option 'all-generic-ide'
    e.g.
    linux all-generic-ide

Now if i can just remember how i configured the ICH8 controller...
    I *think* that I switched off RAID and set them to work as individual disks in IDE mode.
    Hmm... I get "<0>Kernel panic -not syncing" with both 32- and 64-bit Fedora 5 when I try "linuk all-generic-ide irqpoll". I've got a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, which also has the 965/ICH8 chipset combo. I've got the HDs on hte ICH8 SATA ports, DVD on the IDE, and no RAID. Any clues on this? Thanks!

spence Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by swint144
    Hmm... I get "<0>Kernel panic -not syncing" with both 32- and 64-bit Fedora 5 when I try "linuk all-generic-ide irqpoll". I've got a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, which also has the 965/ICH8 chipset combo. I've got the HDs on hte ICH8 SATA ports, DVD on the IDE, and no RAID. Any clues on this? Thanks!
    The all-generic-ide allows linux to see the IDE DVD-ROM on the JMicron controller on the ASUS P5B Deluxe Motherboard.

Linux had no trouble seeing the SATA disks connected to the ICH8 RAID controller - provided i ran them as individual disks rather than RAID.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 6 T3 works on P965 except for Ethernet

Anyone know of a solution for the Marvell builtin ethernet? It's an Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller paper weight at the moment. I have popped an old Tulip card in there but would be nice to use the motherboard controller.

skyreacher Guest
    Hi everybody, I've an Asus P5B Deluxe, too, and couldn't install Linux. So, should a download the new FC6 T3 iso? Will this really work?

Another question: I've configured my system with a RAID0 (two SATA disks connected to the Intel southbridge). Currently I have one small partition with Windows XP on it. What I'd like to do is to install a dual boot system with Linux on this RAID disk.

Do I need any further drivers for Linux to detect the RAID device and allow me to install there? Is there anything else I should take care about?

Thanks for any hints, suggestions and opinions!

lainsonic Guest
    hi I am Chinese. I've a P5B Deluxe , SATA HD x2 and PATA DVDRecoder x2. now I major problem is SATA harddisk can not enable DMA. so I checked in handbook, found the IDE enhanced ,I make it,
    so FC5 recognize hdx as sd sdx , DMA is enabled. But pata DVDRecoders still not be recognized. After update kernel to 2.6.17 ,the status have changed into this:
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/....cgi?id=201670

NOW, my mood is very calm!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyreacher
    Hi everybody, I've an Asus P5B Deluxe, too, and couldn't install Linux. So, should a download the new FC6 T3 iso? Will this really work?
    Sort of- the Audio won't work and neither will the LAN (see above) unless they use something different than the Gigabyte. If someone can attest to the contrary, please spread the word so we Linux users can support the vendors who support us. I for one won't be buying Gigabyte anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by skyreacher
    Another question: I've configured my system with a RAID0 (two SATA disks connected to the Intel southbridge). Currently I have one small partition with Windows XP on it. What I'd like to do is to install a dual boot system with Linux on this RAID disk.

I would recommend the software RAID in the kernel over any hardware solution- particularly a very low end and troublesome one such as an on-board device. Software allows you to move the disks to another machine and still be able to recover them. Software RAID will offer basically the same performance as a HW product.

lego Guest
    Hello,

I have a new GA-965P-DQ6, I tried to install FC5 and FC6T3. Both give me the same problem, the install ask me to provide a driver, I suspect for the ICH8R south bridge. It appear that some of you were able to install FC5 or FC6T3 even if not fully fonctionnal.

Can you tell me where you get the driver or what have you done to be able to install Fedora

thanks

skyreacher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guisar
    Sort of- the Audio won't work and neither will the LAN (see above) unless they use something different than the Gigabyte. If someone can attest to the contrary, please spread the word so we Linux users can support the vendors who support us. I for one won't be buying Gigabyte anymore.
    ok, good to know! Audio isn't important for me because I'm using a Creative Audigy card instead of the onboard sound.

Quote Originally Posted by guisar
    I would recommend the software RAID in the kernel over any hardware solution- particularly a very low end and troublesome one such as an on-board device. Software allows you to move the disks to another machine and still be able to recover them. Software RAID will offer basically the same performance as a HW product.
    Well, yes... I read a bit more on that topic and it looks like these onboard RAID controllers are really not that good supported. Now I have the problem that I need the RAID 0 array for Windows XP - because I'm doing video editing there and I need the performance...

One solution would be to put in a third disk for installing Linux (without RAID), but that's not what I actually wanted to have (3 disks in my machine). Another solution might be a better (?) RAID controller that is supported also by Linux. This way it should be possible to install Windows and Linux on the same RAID array, I guess...

chiefgeek Guest

Maybe some good news

It just noticed the following in the changelog for kernel 2.6.18
    Revert mmiocfg heuristics and blacklist changes

This reverts commits 11012d419cfc0e0f78ca356aca03674217910124 and
    40dd2d20f220eda1cd0da8ea3f0f9db8971ba237, which allowed us to use the
    MMIO accesses for PCI config cycles even without the area being marked
    reserved in the e820 memory tables.

Those changes were needed for EFI-environment Intel macs, but broke some
    newer Intel 965 boards, so for now it's better to revert to our old
    2.6.17 behaviour and at least avoid introducing any new breakage.

Andi Kleen has a set of patches that work with both EFI and the broken
    Intel 965 boards, which will be applied once they get wider testing.
    Does anyone know how to update the FC6 installer to use this new kernel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast