Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th November 2008, 06:07 AM
KinderX Offline

fedora 10 install live cd issues (Nvidia 7150m/630i)

ive been on this laptop for almost a year and no issues. it ran ubuntu pretty well except for the inability for wireless and i tried to use fedora on it today. for some reason i get past the blue/light blue/ white progress bar durung the live cd boot sequence, and after that it leaves me at a black screen with a flashing type cursor. kind of a dos interface, but all black but the flasher.

i got the idea to grab this old sempron computer out of my closet from 2003 or so and tried to boot fedora on it, worked. got right to where i expected, slowly, but its only a 750mhz processor lol. now for the question...

why wont it boot on my laptop?

specs:
15.4 in xvga
AMD Athlonx64 dual core @ 1.9ghz
Nvidia 7150m/630i
160gb hitachi HDD
2gb ram

the desktop has a slow ass processor and onboard graphics with 512mb of ram.
Old 27th November 2008, 07:23 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I'm only posting this fairly unhelpful answer because it's pretty late, at least in the Eastern US, and maybe it will give you a place to start looking. I believe there are some problems with Fedora and some NVidia cards--as I'm not running Fedora on a machine with an NVidia, I haven't payed close attention to threads here or on the Fedora-testing list.
However, if you do a search on the forums for Nvidia, you might find some answers.

I've also taken the liberty of rudely modifying the thread title, to give you a better shot. (Many people browse the forums in a hurry, and so descriptive subject lines are always good.

I am not postive that you will, but it's a place to start before someone with more knowledge of the subject sees the thread.
Old 27th November 2008, 08:07 AM
kanenas Offline

Check this
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=205116
Old 27th November 2008, 06:28 PM
KinderX Offline

i have tried entering xdriver=vesa, i have tried removing rhgb. i have tried adding nomodeset, and every combonation of the 3. none of which seem to work
Old 27th November 2008, 08:26 PM
lmcogs Offline

I have same problem on desktop 8500gt nvidia card and sata drive. I have tried as KinderX, also acpi=off and combinations but no good.keep getting failed with messages like 'can't find root file system', 'can't read superblock', 'bug in initramfs /init detected, drop to shell', 'dropping to bash, buffer IO error' etc.

I get just past the bar turning white, with fedora 10 at bottom of screen. I am using Fedora-10-x86_64-Live-KDE

Last edited by lmcogs; 27th November 2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 27th November 2008, 08:45 PM
1weak1 Offline

I also have 7150 geforce card and had this problem also. To me it seems like "nv" driver doesn't support that specific model, and you need to use "vesa" or "nvidia". The way I fixed it: run: Xorg.conf -configure to get xorg.conf. Don't now why, but it detected 16 monitors and a couple of cards. Now I had to edit it, change "nv" to "vesa" and from section "serverLayout" remove all the "screen" entries except >>Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0<<. Move xorg.conf to /etc/X11/ and start it by typing startx. Worked for me.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:30 AM
kamil Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1weak1 View Post
I also have 7150 geforce card and had this problem also. To me it seems like "nv" driver doesn't support that specific model, and you need to use "vesa" or "nvidia". The way I fixed it: run: Xorg.conf -configure to get xorg.conf. Don't now why, but it detected 16 monitors and a couple of cards. Now I had to edit it, change "nv" to "vesa" and from section "serverLayout" remove all the "screen" entries except >>Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0<<. Move xorg.conf to /etc/X11/ and start it by typing startx. Worked for me.
This is one way of solving the problem. I've just figured out another.

Before booting the live cd, make sure your computer is connected to the Internet with a wired connection.

Boot the f10 live cd. The x-server won't start (the nv driver apparently has problems with the 7150 adapter), but the system will be up and running.

Now:

1. go to CLI by pressing ctrl+alt+F2 (or 3, 4, 5...). Login as root, and then install system-config-display.

yum install system-config-display

2. run system-config-display (as root!) and set the driver to vesa or nouveau. Accept the change.

3. start the x-server (by typing startx)

Alternatively, you can switch to text mode (by typing init 3), and go back to the graphical mode (by typing init 5).

4. play around with your fedora 10 or install it.

Remember, though, that the problem will re-occur after installation to the hard disk (the live cd image is copied to the disk - no changes made to the xorg.conf are recorded), so just repeat the steps I listed above.

The good news is that once you have installed your f10 on your hard disk you will be able to install nvidia 2D/3D drivers supplied by livna (now rpmfusion - http://rpmfusion.org). You will need to install their repo package (see installation instructions), and once you do that open the package manager and look for nvidia drivers (the 173xxxxx or newer, I don't know if 9xxx have support for 7150).

Let me know if this information has helped you.

Kamil
Old 30th November 2008, 12:22 PM
lmcogs Offline

Had no problems with Fedora-10-x86_64-Live. Issue must be in the KDE live cd.
Old 30th November 2008, 09:54 PM
jjcf89 Offline

I am using the fedora 10 x86_64 live cd and had this problem. The problem is specific to certain nvidia cards. I just went ahead and installed the nvidia drivers. Though i suspect the above methods would have worked as well. Here are the instructions for installing the nvidia drivers from rpm fusion.

1. init 3
2.#rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...ble.noarch.rpm
3.#rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...ble.noarch.rpm
4.#yum install kmod-nvidia
5. init 5
Old 1st December 2008, 09:26 AM
ghostdawg Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcf89 View Post
I am using the fedora 10 x86_64 live cd and had this problem. The problem is specific to certain nvidia cards. I just went ahead and installed the nvidia drivers. Though i suspect the above methods would have worked as well. Here are the instructions for installing the nvidia drivers from rpm fusion.

1. init 3
2.#rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...ble.noarch.rpm
3.#rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...ble.noarch.rpm
4.#yum install kmod-nvidia
5. init 5
My fresh install of F10 and it put me in text console, couldn't get X running. I tried the above routine and was able to get X going with vesa driver. I then ran nvidia-config, I think that's it, and logged out and back in, now I'm back in the console, with no screen found or similar message.

I'm at work now but when I get home, I will try replacing 'nvidia' with nv or vesa to see if I can get X going again. I have the nvidia 7150M video card also.

Thnx.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:05 AM
kamil Offline

Try downloading and running system-config-display.

yum install system-config-display

Then start it and set the driver to nvidia (I assume you have the proprietary drivers installed if not or if there's something wrong with the installation, try re-installing them).

Kamil
Old 1st December 2008, 10:19 AM
ghostdawg Offline

I'll try that when I get home in the morning.

Running those commands, should they have installed the proprietary drivers? Just curious to know.

Thnx.
Old 1st December 2008, 03:42 PM
kamil Offline

I'm not sure which commands you mean. If those jjcf89 mentioned, yes, they will install the proprietary driver packaged by rpmfusion (formerly livna and some other third party repos).

The thing is that you need to install the repo file first so that yum knows where to look for the driver package. Mind you, the nvidia driver is in the nonfree repository, so you will need this file installed: http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...ble.noarch.rpm

(www.rpmfusion.org)

---

By the way, when I started the live cd I noticed that there was no xorg.conf file at all in the /etc/X11 catalog (the automatic graphics card detection must have failed at some point).

An easy solution is to use your old xorg.conf (if you have one), which is what I did.
I ran into some problems with my dvd drive (for some reason reading was extremely slow and system-config-display wouldn't start). As I had my old fedora 8 configuration files I just copied the old xorg.conf to /etc/X11, and changed nvidia to vesa (nouveau and probably nv would have worked too). That enabled me to start X and proceed with installation. I had to do that trick again after f10 was installed because, again, there was no xorg.file.

Anyway, keep us posted.

Kamil
Old 1st December 2008, 05:38 PM
ghostdawg Offline

kamil, following along with your's and everyone else suggestions in this thread has me up and running with nvidia drivers.

Thnx for the help.
Old 20th April 2009, 08:26 AM
cMaximus Offline

Just to chime in, I have the Nvidia 7150m/630i combo and fedora seemed to fight me at every turn. first all the install cds were bad(I'm not a fan of dvd's and don't have a burner).. I later found out that there is a work around for that error. Anyway I was able to make a bootable usb. Then the graphics issues, downloaded and installed the nvidia drivers.. but found that either the nvidia driver does not support that video card or that the nvidia-xconfig didn't work to correctly. This is where my ability & time ran out. I like the command line but just don't do it enough to do it well and don't know all the specs of the hardware. man I just don't know.. anyway, it looked solid and I played with it for a brief time with the vesa driver(I think).. it was after installing the nvidia driver but before running nvidia-xconfig, the only time I could use the gui. I'd love to have been able to set it up like some of the youtube videos and fedora looks like a great project, I just could not get it to work. Thanks, I'll check back in 6 months or so.

Tags
7150m or 630i , fedora , install , issues , live , nvidia