<---- template headericclude ----->
Trackpad tap at login screen & a suspend issue? (Fed 15 Gnome3 on FS Amilo laptop)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trackpad tap at login screen & a suspend issue? (Fed 15 Gnome3 on FS Amilo laptop)

Hello members
    I'm running Fedora 15, and using the new Gnome 3 shell on an Fujitsu Siemens Amilo, i've notice that on first booting up of the laptop and reaching the login screen, the trackpad tap feature doesn't work and have to use the trackpad/mouse buttons, once i've logged in the trackpad tap works as normal.

Also, if i use the 'suspend' feature that's part of the new Gnome 3 shell, after pressing the laptop's power button to boot back up, i find that the laptop will start up but the screen remains black with only a flashing cursor from the top right corner of the screen, the background wallpaper or the desktop won't load up, so i'm left to shut the computer down by holding the power button in.

The os has had any current updates installed via 'software update' program, and i have search the web and the forum for any answers, and came across one posting with the same 'trackpad' problem but no solution.

I'm very much a 'newbie' to Fedora, and using code in the 'terminal', so i'd appreciate easy-to-follow help if possible, that's if any members have the solution.

regards
    Livio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Trackpad tap at login screen & a suspend issue? (Fed 15 Gnome3 on FS Amilo laptop

That behavior has existed for the past couple of Fedora versions. It is not new.

The Wiki for F13 had this:

Example: Tap-to-click

Tap-to-click can be enabled in the mouse configuration dialog (in the touchpad tab) but if you need tapping enabled at gdm, the following snippet will enable it for you:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "tap-by-default"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    EndSection

This gets added to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

This comes from here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_..._configuration

I would make sure I had a way to back out before trying this. Since it is for F13 and not for F15, I do not know what has changed that would break this.

Also, see post # 15 in this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=246126

As for the suspend, I don't do it because I haven't had much success when selecting it from the menu. If on my netbook I close the cover or use the keyboard combo to suspend (F14, not F15 though) it restores just fine. I only tried F15 in a virtual machine with much the same effects as you had.

If you hold down the alt key while exiting, the suspend changes to shutdown. Unfortunately, you will have to highlight it with the mouse and then reach over and hit the enter key for it to execute.
    Last edited by StephenH; 28th May 2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: add information
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Trackpad tap at login screen & a suspend issue? (Fed 15 Gnome3 on FS Amilo laptop

Thanks alot StephenH for the great help, just though i'd give the details in 'newbie' terms of what i had to do for my 'Trackpad' tap issue to work.

I did find that under '/etc/X11/' folders i was missing the 'xorg.conf' file so i created a new one by...

..opening a 'terminal' window first..

2:.and then changing to the root user by typing..

sudo su

3: i then entering this command...

Xorg :1 -configure

4: which then created a new 'Xorg.conf.new' in the location '/root/'....

5: i then installed the program 'beesu' plus the two other items associated with that package using the 'Add and remove software' app, this was to give me easier file and folder access as a 'Root' user, then, by holding down the ALT+F2 keyboard buttons, a 'run' dialogue box appears and i entered the instruction below...

beesu nautilus

6..this opens file manager as a 'root' administrator user, i then located the 'Xorg.conf.new' file in the 'root' location, and renamed it by removing the '.new' part of it's filename..

7:..i then cut and pasted the 'Xorg.conf' file from the 'root' directory over to the location below..

/etc/X11/

...pasting the file into the 'X11' folder

8:.then i double click onto my new 'Xorg.conf' file, which then opened in the text editor 'Gedit', i copied the instructions directly off the website's webpage that StephenH's provided in his reply above...and pasted it in-between the exsisting text that was there, choosing to place it just after the 'Section "InputDevice", and also making sure to allow the same line spacing's before the line 'Section "inputClass", and after the line 'EndSection'..

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_..._configuration (Look under the section 'Example: Tap-to-click')

Section "InputClass"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    EndSection

9:.. i then saved my changes and closed anything i had opened, i then shut-down the computer to start it back up from a fresh boot.

When i reached the 'Login' screen apon bootup, success! the 'Trackpad' tap was now loading at that point.

Thanks again for the very kind help

regards
    Livio
    Last edited by liviococcia; 29th May 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liviococcia
    Thanks alot StephenH for the great help, just though i'd give the details in 'newbie' terms of what i had to do for my 'Trackpad' tap issue to work.

I did find that under '/etc/X11/' folders i was missing the 'xorg.conf' file so i created a new one by...

..opening a 'terminal' window first..

2:.and then changing to the root user by typing..

sudo su

3: i then entering this command...

Xorg :1 -configure

4: which then created a new 'Xorg.conf.new' in the location '/root/'....

5: i then installed the program 'beesu' plus the two other items associated with that package using the 'Add and remove software' app, this was to give me easier file and folder access as a 'Root' user, then, by holding down the ALT+F2 keyboard buttons, a 'run' dialogue box appears and i entered the instruction below...

beesu nautilus

6..this opens file manager as a 'root' administrator user, i then located the 'Xorg.conf.new' file in the 'root' location, and renamed it by removing the '.new' part of it's filename..

7:..i then cut and pasted the 'Xorg.conf' file from the 'root' directory over to the location below..

/etc/X11/

...pasting the file into the 'X11' folder

8:.then i double click onto my new 'Xorg.conf' file, which then opened in the text editor 'Gedit', i copied the instructions directly off the website's webpage that StephenH's provided in his reply above...and pasted it in-between the exsisting text that was there, choosing to place it just after the 'Section "InputDevice", and also making sure to allow the same line spacing's before the line 'Section "inputClass", and after the line 'EndSection'..

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_..._configuration (Look under the section 'Example: Tap-to-click')

Section "InputClass"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    EndSection

9:.. i then saved my changes and closed anything i had opened, i then shut-down the computer to start it back up from a fresh boot.

When i reached the 'Login' screen apon bootup, success! the 'Trackpad' tap was now loading at that point.

Thanks again for the very kind help

regards
    Livio
    You're welcome. In return, I took a hint from you and just installed
    beesu.x86_64 0:2.7-3.fc14
    gedit-beesu-plugin.x86_64 0:0.4-3.fc14
    nautilus-beesu-manager.noarch 0:1.7-3.fc14

They should make my life a little simpler. Thanks.
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Re: Trackpad tap at login screen & a suspend issue? (Fed 15 Gnome3 on FS Amilo laptop

There is also a way do this without creating the Xorg.conf file:

1. As root or using sudo create file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-enable-taps.conf"
    2. Enter the following in the file:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
    EndSection