Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th November 2004, 03:41 PM
breun Offline

Unhappy Accidently removed glibc, now what?

This morning I got a lot of errors of libraries that wouldn't load. After some 'rpm -q --whatprovides <filename>' I found they belonged to the glibc package. I downloaded the glibc rpm from the FC3 repo and without thinking about it issued a 'rpm -e --nodeps glibc'. And now my glibc rpm won't install...

I know it was stupid to --nodeps glibc, but is there a way to get the rpm installed on my system? Maybe some statically linked rpm installer or something?

UPDATE: Somebody just told me to run the installer again and choose the update option. I'll try that when I get home and post back with results. Booting into rescue mode didn't help, because 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' didn't work (because of glibc missing probably?).

Last edited by breun; 17th November 2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 17th November 2004, 04:27 PM
megaprogman Offline

you may need to download a tag.gz and and move the files in place manually and once your done with that, reyum it to get the fedora version
Old 18th November 2004, 02:14 AM
breun Offline

Smile

Thanks for the tip, but I already fixed it.

Booting from the first Fedora cd and choosing to update didn´t help anything (no packages were being installed and the install just finished).

This is how I did it:

I booted using the first Fedora cd using ´linux rescue´. ´chroot /mnt/sysimage´ didn´t work (probably because of missing glibc?), but I used this command to install the glibc rpm I downloaded (using elinks):

Code:
rpm -Uvh --root=/mnt/sysimage/ --force glibc-2.3.3-74.i686.rpm
And it installed! It gave a couple of errors, but now at least my kernel would boot again. When I logged in again, I installed glibc another time (but now with a normal /) using

Code:
rpm -Uvh --force glibc-2.3.3-74.i686.rpm
This time I got no errors and I was back in business!

Last edited by breun; 30th September 2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 18th November 2004, 04:52 AM
Dunhausen Offline

Sheesh accidentally uninstalling glibc. That's accidentally surgically removing your kidney.

For shame.
Old 18th November 2004, 11:33 PM
Jman Offline

More like removing your heart. Seriously. If the kernel is the brain coordinating every hardware device, glibc is the heart with some standard math and C libraries.

Glad to see that the rescue got it working.
Old 19th November 2004, 01:22 PM
Ned Offline

Thumbs up

Nice recovery - at least you didn't panic and do a reformat/reinstall
Old 17th October 2005, 03:30 PM
chirag.jog Offline

hi , i also have the same problem !!!
i did a linux rescue and got libc installed by force .
but when i rebooted the system , i again tried to install it again it was in vain and my linux glibc still does not work !!!
Old 17th October 2005, 04:46 PM
breun Offline

Did you the exact same things I did (maybe I have a typo or forgot something here)? What is the error message you got?
Old 17th October 2005, 07:31 PM
chirag.jog Offline

i did the same thing !!
But my basic Problem is that i want upgrade my glibc-2.3.3 to glibc-2.3.5 from its src and not from yum

Please help me in that direction
Old 18th October 2005, 07:56 AM
gavinw6662 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhausen
Sheesh accidentally uninstalling glibc. That's accidentally surgically removing your kidney.

For shame.

Ha ha ha, well it is good to hear you were able to figure out how to get everything up and running. Nice work!
Old 18th October 2005, 03:14 PM
chirag.jog Offline

i used rpm -Uvm glibc*.rpm
and it worked !!
thanks a lot !
Old 6th November 2005, 02:55 AM
Elv13 Offline

hi, i have the same problem too, i was trying to update it and my cumputer crash before, no i dont have any glibc
i did your solution and in terminal (cd1) it say that i need some dependency... what now
Old 6th November 2005, 12:11 PM
breun Offline

What is the dependency you need? You might be able to download it or get it from the Fedora cd's and install it along with glibc.
Old 7th November 2005, 01:51 PM
ddwelley Offline

I'm starting to beleave this happens more often. I'm having the same issue when upgrading the glibc version.
The message I get is as follows:

error: glibc-common conflicts with glibc < 2.3.90
error: Missing Dependancy: glibc-common = 2.3.5-10.3 is needed by package glibc

Things are still working BUT... I need to get this fixed. Yum craps out when it hits this update.

I'll try some of the mentioned solutions...unless someone has a better thought.

Thanks, in advance.

Dan
Old 7th November 2005, 02:03 PM
breun Offline

Maybe you ended up with multiple versions of either glibc or glibc-common because of an interrupted install (interrupted yum session)? Check with rpm -q glibc and rpm -q glibc-common which versions you have installed. You then might need to erase one using rpm -e <package-full-version> (be careful, erasing the wrong package could break your system even further!). Then run yum update again.
Closed Thread

Tags
accidently, glibc, removed