FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice looking xfce xfce theme

Hi..

I am looking for a nice looking xfce theme. you know sleek modern and maybe a little "flat"...

has anyone applied a nice looking theme successfully ? I am asking because even if I have tried a few preinstalled theme from appearance ,It did not fit on some software like yum extender, I could not see any buttons and menu words were messing...

thank you very much

PabloTwo is offline "Fedora User" T-Shirt Winner
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: nice looking xfce xfce theme

Well, what is "nice looking theme" is all in the eye of the beholder. I've successfully installed many themes for Xfce over the years (I prefer dark, as in color, themes). There are many to choose from. Have a look though the Xfce theme website.

Keep in mind, themes are in two parts. One for the desktop (panel, drop down menus, etc.) and one for the Window decorator (window border). Some themes are only one or the other, and some themes have the components for both, so they can match.

The selection in "Appearance" only effects the desktop theme. You need to go to "Window Manager" to select a window decorator theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yigit
    Hi..

I am asking because even if I have tried a few preinstalled theme from appearance ,It did not fit on some software like yum extender, I could not see any buttons and menu words were messing...

thank you very much
    That is because Xfce is partly GTK3 and the GTK3 section of the theme needs to be for the version of GTK3 you are using.

Look at Arc. It has both dark and light variants included. It isn't in the repos but there is / was a COPR repo for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozjd

Look at Arc. It has both dark and light variants included. It isn't in the repos but there is / was a COPR repo for it.
    There is a arc-theme in the repo.

There is also a COPR repo - gtk3-themes - (mine) that packages arc-theme in a different way.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Korora Linux has a nice xfce iso, with themes that could be to your liking. Checkout the Live ISO.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Greybird is one of the more popular themes: https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird

My personal favourite is Zukitwo: https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes

Both themes provide a xfwm-theme and support up to gtk 3.22 and are imho really great, good looking & elegant gtk-themes.

PS: If things haven't changed lately Korora comes with the Greybird-theme

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna
    I guess Greybird is one of the more popular themes: https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird

My personal favourite is Zukitwo: https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes

Both themes provide a xfwm-theme and support up to gtk 3.22 and are imho really great, good looking & elegant gtk-themes.

PS: If things haven't changed lately Korora comes with the Greybird-theme
    Why go to github or install 3rd party respin of Fedora just to get the greybird theme when it's already a stock part of the Fedora Xfce spin?
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf group info Xfce | grep greybird
       greybird-gtk2-theme
       greybird-gtk3-theme
       greybird-xfce4-notifyd-theme
       greybird-xfwm4-theme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Why go to github or install 3rd party respin of Fedora just to get the greybird theme when it's already a stock part of the Fedora Xfce spin?
    Yes, that is correct!

Greybird is part of Fedoras xfce-spin and pre-installed in an up to date-version. There's indeed no need to install anything from github or 3rd party repos. The zukitwo-theme is not included in the Fedora-repos. The reason why I posted the github-links for the themes in my previous post is because the github-pages also include a couple of recent screenshots of both themes, so everybody knows without any further effort how they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Korora Linux has a nice xfce iso, with themes that could be to your liking. Checkout the Live ISO.
    In my remark regarding Korora I just wanted to mention that it uses the Greybird-theme as default, nothing more. It was definitely not my intention to suggest to install another distribution just to get a theme that can be installed (if even necessary) in less than 30 seconds...

Sometimes I like to complicate things, but really not that much
    Last edited by Vienna; 8th February 2017 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always used Wallis and Slickness Black. Since I mostly program in the dark. I have found of course that on many sites the colors are off, and sometimes you find yourself typing white on white, but oh well, if all I do is Kate and my own sites, then it works wonders on the eyes.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason why I posted the github-links for the themes in my previous post is because the github-pages also include a couple of recent screenshots of both themes, so everybody knows without any further effort how they look like.
    That sounds very reasonable to me, which is one reason I posted the link to the Xfce themes page, where you can look (screen shots) before you download and install.
    Sometimes I like to complicate things, but really not that much
    Does that have anything to do with "chaos therory"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Thank you very much for your Korora suggestion but Korora is 64 bit only so not suitable for my pc I think... I have migrated from 64 bit to 32 bit because a user suggested that to me (because of my older pc dual core cpu and 2 GB of ram yes I know even smart phones has 3 or more GB ram but on my desktop only 2 GB

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Code:
    $ sudo dnf group info Xfce | grep greybird
       greybird-gtk2-theme
       greybird-gtk3-theme
       greybird-xfce4-notifyd-theme
       greybird-xfwm4-theme
    Thanks a lot...

I have tried pre-installed greybird theme but when I applied the theme, font colors turned grey-blurry .

I have installed and loaded Ambiance&Radiance-Colors-15-10-1-GTK-3-16-&18-Theme pack but It is the same: grey fonts on Whisker menu...

But... Numixholo theme for wm worked ... and theme: Industrial.. they look great together, thank you again for your effort

have a nice day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does that have anything to do with "chaos therory"?
    “There is order and even great beauty in what looks like total chaos. If we look closely enough at the randomness around us, patterns will start to emerge.”
    Aaron Sorkin

I have tried pre-installed greybird theme but when I applied the theme, font colors turned grey-blurry .
    I have installed and loaded Ambiance&Radiance-Colors-15-10-1-GTK-3-16-&18-Theme pack but It is the same: grey fonts on Whisker menu...
    It is important that the theme is suitable for your installed gtk-version. Regarding the Ambiance & Radiance-theme the following is probably the reason why you ran into problems:
    "GTK 3.20 Does NOT work with this theme!
    And it will not for quite awhile"
    Last edited by Vienna; 8th February 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There used to be (like 10 years ago) a Window manager decoration which was very similar to Wallis, but it was called Strawberry or something similar, where the buttons on top right were green and red, and very easy to see (bright). And you could also change the window frame color. But I haven't been able to find it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for your Korora suggestion but Korora is 64 bit only so not suitable for my pc I think... I have migrated from 64 bit to 32 bit because a user suggested that to me (because of my older pc dual core cpu and 2 GB of ram yes I know even smart phones has 3 or more GB ram but on my desktop only 2 GB
    That doesn't make much sense. There is no real reason for using 32 bit on a pc that can handle 64 bit. Maybe there once was but that was a long time ago.

BTW the default theme on Korora 24 and 25 is Arc not Greybird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozjd
    That doesn't make much sense. There is no real reason for using 32 bit on a pc that can handle 64 bit. Maybe there once was but that was a long time ago.

BTW the default theme on Korora 24 and 25 is Arc not Greybird.
    Interesting...Once I was told to install 32 bit os on this pc, maybe because of RAM, (only 2 GB ) I will definitely think about installing 64 bit Fedora after adding 2 GB ram more, ( 2 GB ddr3 pc RAM prices are between 75 TL and 100 TL in Turkiye)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast